Skip to main content

Becoming a "Hunt"

This past weekend was a BLAST! Mike's dad and step-mom came to St. George with Mike's little brother, Sam, and little sister, Grace. It was so much fun to have his family in St. George and to have spent so much time with them! This also gave me the opportunity to see the family name I was taking on. :)

It started on Friday night by going to dinner with his family and his grandparents. I have seen them before at the airport for Mike's missionary homecoming, but we didn't talk much at that time. We were able to get the usual "Where are you from? Who is in your family? Are you going to school?" and all other questions out in the open. Dinner was a great ice-breaker and a catalyst for the rest of the weekend!

Saturday morning Michael and I went to Washington to celebrate his family ancestor with the rest of his family. She was the first school teacher in Washington City and this past week would have been her 200th birthday. It was neat to learn she was from Dublin - the place I have been begging Mike to visit! There were probably 75 people in Mike's family present so I REALLY got a good view of his family.  They had a presentation at the museum school house and then we walked to the cemetery for a short song at her grave site. I loved sitting with Mike and his family in the big gym where everybody traveled far and wide to be there. There was a lot of love and joy in the room.

After the grave we took Mike's parents and Sam to eat lunch at Irmita's, a local mexican restaurant that is FABULOUS. They have a menu item called the "Torta Challenge." If you can eat the whole thing in less than 15 minutes, you get the next one free. Naturally Mike accepted the challenge and.... he did it!! I was actually pretty proud. :)

Next we picked up Grace and went to Dixie rock. They had never been up there and there is no better way to see St. George than from up there. This activity led us to geocaching. What is geocaching you ask? I'll tell you! All over the world people use a GPS device to locate little treasures. They are little boxes or containers that people can bring an item in exchange for item already in the box. It is kind of thrilling to know people from all over have searched for the same geocache. This was a first for Mike and me and we love it! Check out http://www.geocaching.com/ for more information.

We decided to cool off at another local place, Swig. Problem is we took the term "cool off" to the limit. All of us were shaking we were so cold while eating shaved ice. It was funny how we went to both extremes in a matter of an hour.

Our final activity for the day was meeting back up with the grandparents and Mike's aunt and uncles at the mall. We all walked around together and sat at the food court to just talk. I got to know his aunts a lot better and see the Hunt family. I feel like I get along great with his parents and it was amazing to spend time with his siblings.

This weekend made me more excited to become a Hunt and realize that 81 days is coming quicker than I thought!

Comments

  1. We're excited to have you too, Sarah! Hunts are pretty addictive, that's word on the street. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shout it from the rooftop: St. George is off the hook when spent with Microwave and Saran Wrap.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Laughter is the Best Medicine

I was really looking forward to "labor" on Labor Day. Michael and my mom were scheduled to work this holiday too which was great because that means meeting up for lunch and enjoying 30 minutes together. It's like our version of verbal communication therapy. Also, holiday pay is a great incentive for me to want to work. However, the census on the floor has been really low so many employees have been getting called off. Well Sunday night rolls around and guess what? I got put on-call. I asked Mike why he thought our census was so low right now. He replied "The hospital needs to quit telling people to get healthy!" My husband ladies and gentlemen; the problem solver. Yesterday Michael went to shoot guns with his mom. I had a lot of homework to get caught up/get ahead on so I stayed home. Later in the night I was asking how it went and when it got to the part where he was telling me about the guns he used, he mentioned using a revolver. I knew I had heard the word

The perils of the laundromat

My day started off like any other day. Woke up at 4:30, showered, got ready, ate breakfast, got dressed in my nursing scrubs and headed to the hospital. But unlike any other day, my nurse I'm supposed to precept with was not there. She traded her shift and worked yesterday instead. So what did this mean for me? I got to go home and snuggle up to my sweet hubby and our heating blanket while watching a movie! I think that's something worth waking up early for. :)  It also gave me some free time to write about our laundromat experiences. Sounds like a particularly boring topic but we've had some experiences that are anything BUT boring.  Experience #1: It was around the last week of September. We tried a new laundromat close to where I lived before we were married We also tried some new detergent. The problem with this experience was Michael could not stop itching the next day. He got some very bad hives and it was crippling his daily activities. We thought it was from

Time

Time doesn't stop for anybody. Not for the businessman who barely missed the subway, the reporter who missed the press, the athlete who crossed the finish line second, nobody. I regretfully admit that recently I have been happy about this undeniably true thought. All too often I find myself wishing time would move a second faster, a minute quicker, and a day sooner. With Michael and I both having hectic school schedules and longer hours logged in at work, I was constantly hoping for another tomorrow. But why? We are newlyweds- barely married for 5 months. I am almost done with my nursing program- should I not soak up every opportunity to learn? We have jobs in our fields of interest- at least we have the means to earn a living in a struggling economy. With the 2012 election ending yesterday, (and it's no secret it did not end in our favor) I feel a new sense of the need to enjoy every moment. Time has not stopped and life still goes on. We are still moving forward. Wh